McGizmo Clips have proven to be the completing item in my nerdy quest for the ultimate minimalist EDC keychain setup. The A &P keyring solved the issue of easily adding or removing items (I dislike split-rings), but I found that it still didn’t work so great for that moment when the car is warming up and you realize you forgot something in the locked house.
The Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad is my new favorite Photoshop tool/gadget/accessory besides the Wacom Intuos4 graphics tablet. If you’re a keyboard junkie like me (and even if you aren’t), you’re going to love this little gadget.
Initially I was going to get a more traditional programmable keypad, but my artist friend and fellow digital art gadget geek Ray Frenden had recently picked up a Nostromo and loved it. When he told me there were per-app key configurations, that sold me.
I’ve seen a few commentary articles about the iPhone 5 announcement that are referring to the new iteration as boring. This doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s no longer a revolution like the original one was. New Macs are nice to look at, but in reality who really cares how much the industrial design changes—it’s the one aspect of the device you almost never interact with. It’s the box the toy comes in.
I’m an Apple geek and I pay attention to the rumors before a new device is expected. Typically they are blown out of proportion and way off the mark. This is due to one simple fact: most people seem to misunderstand Apple.
I’ve been using a Mac since 1994. The one thing that stands out in Apple’s product lines since the return of Steve Jobs is that of a long period of refinement after a burst of innovation. The iPhone has been a perfect example of this approach.
Recently a friend asked what possible reason there was for him to be interested in the Apple TV. I thought I’d share my response.
• It’s a great box for Netflix Instant
• If you have videos on the Mac (in iTunes) you can stream them to the Apple TV. There are apps such as Air Video and Stream To Me that will stream videos from your Mac in any video format to the Apple TV as well. They both offer live conversion too, so you can play .avi files and other formats not supported by iTunes.
• You can also mirror the newest iPad (iPad 3) & iPhone (iPhone 4S) screen to Apple TV.
• With Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and a newer Mac, you can send your Mac screen to Apple TV.
• You can rent films and television shows from the iTunes Store.
• Hulu Plus was recently added (if unlike me, that matters to you).
• Stream audio from any Apple device to Apple TV. Play music from an iPhone on the local network for example.
• Stream photos and videos from the default Photos app to the TV for group viewing.
• Sync the audio from iTunes to play on the Mac and on the TV or home audio system conencted to the TV for full-house audio.
• Send video from and iPad or iPhone to the Apple TV for viewing on a larger screen.
There are also lots of other things that I never use, such as the YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr channels, the MLB, NHL, NBA and WSJ channels, internet radio, video and audio podcasts.
The iPhone let’s you take you Mac with you. The Apple TV lets you share your Mac with the rest of your house.
The AcoustiGrip headphone wire tamer is an handy little gadget I picked up for iPhone headphones cords. I got tired of the cables bouncing around when I was walking or riding the bike, and a little research online brought this little gadget to my attention. Despite a bit of initial skepticism before purchasing, they work great.
The Pico Widgy Pry Bar from CountyComm is hands-down the best keychain tool I’ve added to my keychain EDC (Every Day Carry) collection. It’s even allowed me to no longer want to carry a knife or a pocket multi-tool.
The best keychain/keyring you can buy, period. A must-have for any keying EDC (Every Day Carry) fanatic like myself.
I recently picked up this spare tire bike rack to haul my bicycle around on the Jeep Wrangler, and was surprised by the quality of the rack despite it being one of the cheaper options on Amazon.
My brother gave me a Camelbak Lobo hydration backpack as a gift, and to be honest I didn’t think I’d use it much but after my first bike ride with it, I was a fan.