Recently a friend asked what possible reason there was for him to be interested in the Apple TV. I thought I’d share my response.
• It’s a great box for Netflix Instant
• If you have videos on the Mac (in iTunes) you can stream them to the Apple TV. There are apps such as Air Video and Stream To Me that will stream videos from your Mac in any video format to the Apple TV as well. They both offer live conversion too, so you can play .avi files and other formats not supported by iTunes.
• You can also mirror the newest iPad (iPad 3) & iPhone (iPhone 4S) screen to Apple TV.
• With Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and a newer Mac, you can send your Mac screen to Apple TV.
• You can rent films and television shows from the iTunes Store.
• Hulu Plus was recently added (if unlike me, that matters to you).
• Stream audio from any Apple device to Apple TV. Play music from an iPhone on the local network for example.
• Stream photos and videos from the default Photos app to the TV for group viewing.
• Sync the audio from iTunes to play on the Mac and on the TV or home audio system conencted to the TV for full-house audio.
• Send video from and iPad or iPhone to the Apple TV for viewing on a larger screen.
There are also lots of other things that I never use, such as the YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr channels, the MLB, NHL, NBA and WSJ channels, internet radio, video and audio podcasts.
The iPhone let’s you take you Mac with you. The Apple TV lets you share your Mac with the rest of your house.