Faux stitched leather annoys me too. But I’m not sure all skeuomorphic design is bad.
Wikipedia defines skeuomorphic design as:
an element of design or structure that serves little or no purpose in the artifact fashioned from the new material but was essential to the object made from the original material
I find it annoying in certain situations in iOS and OS X, such as the Phone app icon ¹, the Address Book on the Mac, the page flips in iBooks. Still, I’m not turned off by the green felt in Game Center.
Continue reading “In (Partial) Defense of Apple’s Skeuomorphic Design in iOS”
I love my iPhone and my iPad. But some aspects of iOS boggle the mind with the oversight of features. Here’s a list of my top offenders:
• timers in the Notifications screen: when running a timer, it should appear with live countdown in the drop down notifications screen. And probably in the lock screen too.
• the Notifications screen needs a “clear all” button
• opening up iOS to allow apps to talk to and share with each other
• we need a Mac App Store viewer app.
• Reminders and Calendar alerts need Snooze options
• easier methods to get to specific settings. Or re-allow 3rd-party apps to access them directly
• App Store trials
• Mobile Safari needs a “Copy Link to Clipboard” action
• let me see the image metadata of the photos I’ve taken with the device
I’m not a fan of the rumored “tall boy” iPhone 5 for a few reasons. Here’s why…
Let me start by saying I’m a huge WordPress fan, both of the .com and self-hosted variety. But the photo gallery feature sucks.
Continue reading “WordPress Photo Galleries Suck”